Using Multisensory Games and Activities to Build Early Literacy Skills
Develop your child's senses
Change up the boring classroom learning routine
Engage your child with fun learning techniques
The preschool years are an exciting and critical time of learning for children. Providing high-quality learning experiences creates the foundation they need in order to learn and grow. Early literacy comprises a set of skills and behaviours that a child needs before he learns how to read and write. These basic skills include Visual Perceptual Skills, Word Awareness, and Alphabet Recognition and Formation. Parents can partner alongside their child’s preschool teachers to develop these building blocks for later literacy success. Children learn best when they are having fun. In this workshop, parents will discover how to create and carry out simple and fun multisensory games and activities at home to help their child master essential early literacy skills.
Outline of the Workshop:
- Overview of Early Literacy Skills
- Activities for Developing Visual Perceptual Skills
- Activities for Developing Word Awareness
- Activities for Developing Alphabet Recognition and Formation
- By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the essential skills and behaviours a child needs before he learns to read and write
- Acquire multisensory strategies for developing Visual Perceptual Skills
- Acquire multisensory strategies for developing Word Awareness
- Acquire multisensory strategies for developing Alphabet Recognition and Formation
Sylvia Foo has over 2 decades of experience as a Dyslexia, Literacy and English Language Specialist. She has a successful track record as an educational therapist in dyslexia support. She also has had
extensive experience as a trainer in learning needs for various institutes including the DAS Academy Ltd and Seed Institute. Sylvia has a Diploma in SPLD (Dyslexia), a Masters in Arts (English Language) and a Diploma in Education (NIE). She is also trained in the Orton-Gillingham Approach for dyslexia and literacy teaching.
$60 (inclusie of 7% GST)
Time: 2 - 5pm
Venue: Online Zoom Session
This workshop is taught online due to the current COVID-19 situation.
Who Should Join?
Parents and caregivers with children aged 4 – 6 years old.